Purdie M’Farland, #70 on “The Dunbar Prisoners” List

Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.

Published on: 14 Apr 2016
Updated: 15 Sep 2016

Descendants and Researchers

Surname variations: Mackfarlin, Macfarlane, M’Farland, MacFarland, MacVarlo

First Generation in the New World

1.PURDIE MACFARLAND, was born in Scotland and died on 2 Dec 1721. He married at Hingham on 3 Jul 1667, PATIENCE RUSSELL.

Biographical Notes:

Children of Purdie and Patience (Russell) MacFarland:
2. HANNAH MACFARLAND, b. at Hingham
2. MARTHA MACFARLAND, b. at Hingham

Second Generation

2. HANNAH MACFARLAND, b. at Hingham; m. at Duxbury on 19 Jan 1702, ELIAS MAGOON.

2. MARTHA MACFARLAND, b. at Hingham; m. at Duxbury on 20 Dec 1698, MATHEW KEENE.

SOURCES AND NOTES:
WE RELATE. org “Purthe Macvarlo”
Purthe MacFarlin (Purde Macvarlo) was the first member of the Clan MacFarlane to set foot on American soil, arriving around 1660 and settling in the town of Hingham, Plymouth County, MA. His name has been spelled numerous ways, all depending on how the town clerk recorded what he or she heard. There were no rules of spelling or pronounciation. Seven years after arriving in Hingham, he married Patience Russell, a Hingham resident. There is mention in the book History of the Town of Hingham of his purchasing a parcel of land from the town of Hingham in 1669. It was located off East Street near Hull Street. The “History” noted, “…near the vicinity of the Weir River on East Street, then a little traveled lane, lived Purthee McFarlin, the Scotchman, who found himself blessed with nine bonny lassies and three sturdy laddies.” All were born in Hingham and lived their lives there. On Feb. 15, 1715, Purthe’s farmhouse was burned by the Indians. At the time his son, James was living on the farm with his parents, and subsequently built a new house on the same site. Records found in the Old Ship Church show that Purthe gave some 30 Pounds Sterling towards the building fund. Purthe and most of his family are buried in the old cemetery behind the church. However, many of the old markers and graves have been moved or destroyed by age. A monument dedicated to the early founders of Hingham has been placed on the hill in the cemetery.
George Lincoln, History of the Town of Hingham, Massachusetts, Volumes II, III, The
Genealogies (Somersworth, N.H.: New England History Press, 1982; orig. pub. Hingham, Mass., 1893), 3:47-49.
“1. JOHN, a Scotchman, was an early resident of Hing. The chris. name of his w., whom he m. Nov. 7, 1662, was Rebecca. John removed with his fam. ab. 1666, to Scit., where he was a freeholder. In 1673, he was one of those who received a portion of the common land. In his will of 20 May, 1697, proved 27 June, 1712, names w. Rebecca, four sons and one dau. His son, Elias, married Purde MacVarlo’s [Purdie MacFarland??] daughter, Hannah.