Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.
Published on: 17 March 2016
Updated: 13 June 2016
Cowing, Coehon, Cowan, Cowen, Cahoon, Colquhouns
Descendants and Researchers:
Andrea Wagenbach – firstname.lastname@example.org – Direct Descendant
Craig Cowing – email@example.com – Direct Descendant
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust – firstname.lastname@example.org – Researcher
First Generation in the New World
1. JOHN¹ COWAN, was born in Scotland. He married at Scituate, Plymouth County, Massachusetts on 31 March 1656, REBECCA MAN.
Children of John and Rebecca (Man) Cowan:
2. i. JOSEPH² COWEN, (John¹), born at Scituate on 3 Dec 1657
2. ii. MARY COWEN, (John¹), born at Scituate on 14 May 1659
2. iii. JOHN COWEN, (John¹), born at Scituate on 10 July 1662
2. iv. ISRAEL COWEN*, (John¹), born at Scituate* on 10 Dec 1664*.
2. v. REBECCA COWEN*, (John¹), born at Scituate* on 10 May 1666*.
SEE: Genealogical and Personal History of the Allegheny Valley, Pennsylvania, Volume 1 by John Woolf Jordan, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1913 – Allegheny River Valley (Pa. and N.Y.) – 1162 pages
SOURCES AND NOTES:
“John Coehon lived to raise a large family. His children had the name spelled Cowan and Cowing. Israel Cowing one of the sons was known as Israel Cowing Of Situate MA a Scotchman.” ~ Caroline Gilleece.
“My understanding that the John Cowin/Cowen that settled in Scituate and had posterity in America was circumstantially assumed to be the SPOW due to his circumstances. he was apparently sold to Richard Mann, and then married his wife after Richard died. John became a freeman after the marriage.” ~ Andrea Wagenbach