Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.
Published on: 15 Dec 2014
Updated: 1 Feb 2017
Find his descendants and researchers here.
First Generation in the New World
1. JAMES WARREN, was born possibly in North Berwick, Scotland about 1621 and died at Kittery, York, Maine in 1702. He married, at Kittery, York County, Maine by 1654, MARGARET (_____). Margaret was born in Ireland.
1650 – James Warren is in the town of South Berwick.
Clayton, W. Woodford. The History of York County, Maine (Philadelphia: Philadelphia, Everts & Peck, 1880) page 315.
“Berwick, Maine, Probate 24 Dec 1702,” From: Scottish Emigration to Colonial America, 1607-1785, page 36, by David Dobson, c 1994, paperback version c 2004. SEE: Appalachian Aristocracy.com.
Children of James and Margaret (_____) Warren:
2. i. GILBERT WARREN*, b. about 1656; d. 1733; m. at Kittery by 1698, SARAH (EMERY) THOMPSON*.
2. ii. MARGARET WARREN*, m., JAMES STACPOLE*. (Later Stackpole)
2. iii. JANE WARREN*, m. on 4 Aug 1690, WILLIAM GRANT*.
2. iv. JAMES WARREN*, b. about 1667; m. at Kittery about 1692, MARY FOST*.
2. v. GRIZEL WARREN*, b. 6 Mar 1662*; m., RICHARD OTIS*.
2. i. GILBERT² WARREN*, (James¹), was born about 1656 and died in 1733. He married at Kittery by 1698, SARAH (EMERY) THOMPSON*, Widow of John Thompson. (possible SPOW child)
2. ii. MARGARET² WARREN*, (James¹), She married, JAMES STACPOLE*. (Later Stackpole)
2. iii. JANE² WARREN*, (James¹), She married on 4 Aug 1690, WILLIAM GRANT*.
2. iv. JAMES² WARREN*, (James¹), was born about 1667. He married at Kittery about 1692, MARY FOST*.
Children of James and Mary (Goodwin) Warren:
4. WILLIAM WARREN, m., ESTHER WEYMOUTH.
SOURCES AND NOTES:
FROM: Appalachian Aristocracy.com:
“James’ will is recorded in Berwick, Massachusetts Province, (now Berwick, York Co. Maine), proved December 24, 1702. In it he names heirs, sons Gilbert, and James and daughters, Margaret, GRIZEL, and granddaughter, Jane Grant and grandson James Stagpole, wife Margaret and son James, Jr., executors.
“In the name of god Amen: James Warren Snr of the parish of Barwick in the town of Kittrey… Do make & ordain this my last will & testement as foloweth being sick & week of bodey but in good & perfect memory Viz…
1- I do give unto my son Gilbert Warren all yt tract of land which I bought of John Davis living in ye town ship of York to him & to his haires forever
2- I do give unto my son James warren all my other Lands marshes medoes buldings of all sorts Liing in ye town shep of Kettrey or elce whare to him & his haires for ever
3- I do Give to my Daughter Margrat Stagpole five Shiling
4- I do Give to by Daughter Grizel five Shilings-
5- I do Give to my Granddaughter Jane Grant five Shilings
6- I do Give to my Grandson James Stacpole- one hefer & one Ewe & a young fold-
7- I do Give unto Margrat waren my loveing wife all ye rest of my of my Estate it being moveabels for her Comfertabel mantainance and no legusi before mentioned to be demanded til her decse
8- I do Constitute & Appoint My liveing wife Margrat & my son James Waren to bee Executrix and Executor to this my will & testement made this ninth day of December one thousand seven hundred as wittness my hand-
James X Waren
Robert: X : Gray
James: A : Stacpole
History of York, Maine- Banks, Vol.I, pp.206-9.
York Co. Court Records- Vol.II, p.205; Vol.III, p.42,p.54; Vol.IV, p.61.
Genealogical Dictionary of Maine & New Hampshire- p.721
York Deeds- Vol.4, p.159.
Mass. Archives- Vol.3, pp.385-6; Vol.11, pp.125-125a, p.127a;
York Co. Probate- I, 85; II, 66.
History and Genealogy of the Stackpole Family- pp.61-2.
Adriel Warren of Berwick, ME: His Forebears and Descendants- Vanetta Hosford Warren, Boston, 1969.
Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society- Vol.LXI, pp.16-29.