Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.
Published: 02 Dec 2014
Updated: 14 Nov 2016
Find his descendants and researchers here.
Scots’ Charitable Society:
1657 – Founding Member, James Adams.
“James is believed to be a Scottish prisoner of war from the Battle of Dunbar at Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland on 3 Sep 1650, arriving at Charlestown, Massachusetts Bay Colony on the ketch, Unity, in late December 1650.” ~ Teresa
AKA “Goodman Adams” of Carlisle, Mass.
First Generation in the New World
1. JAMES ADAMS, was born possibly at Carlisle, Cumberland, England (on the border of Scotland) about 1635 and died at Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts on 2 Dec 1707. He married at Concord on 7 May 1662, PRISCILLA RAMSDELL/RAMSDEN, daughter of JOHN RAMSDELL and PRISCILLA CHASE [TNEM & MVR]. She was born at Concord about 1640.
Children of James and Priscilla (Ramsden) Adams, all born in Concord:
2. i. PRISCILLA² ADAMS b. 9 Feb 1662/63
2. ii. ELIZABETH² ADAMS b. Feb 1664/65 m., JOSEPH LAMSON.
2. iii. JAMES² ADAMS b. 29 Mar 1668 m., PRISCILLAH SHORE.
2. iv. HANNAH² ADAMS b. 25 Jul 1670 d. 20 Sep 1727 m., WILLIAM RUSSELL.
2. v. JOHN² ADAMS b. 30 Aug 1672 m., ESTHER FORD.
2. vi. NATHANIEL² ADAMS b. Feb 1673/74
2. vii. DORCAS² ADAMS b. 1 Feb 1676/77 m., BENJAMIN BAYBROOK.
2. i. PRISCILLA² ADAMS, (James¹), was born at Concord, on 9 Feb 1662/63. She married, WILLIAM HARDY.
Children of William and Priscilla (Adams) Hardy:
3. i. ISABEL³ HARDY, (Priscilla², James¹), born in Massachusetts. She married, EDWARD AUSTIN.
2. iv. HANNAH² ADAMS, (James¹), was born at Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts in 1670 and died in 1726. She married, WILLIAM RUSSELL.
Children of William and Hannah² (Adams) Russell:
3. i. HANNAH³ RUSSELL, (Hannah², James¹), born in Massachusetts. She married, JONATHAN WHEELER.
1653: Iron-worker at Lynn, Mass. “ox team manager” “farming”
1657: Made a donation to the Scots Charitable Society [Boston] on 6 Jan 1657.
1662: Married Priscilla Ramsdell
SOURCES and NOTES:
From David Gibson, Feb 23, 2016 and March 2, 2016:
“Hello Teresa, I am certain that I am from a James Adams and Priscilla Ramsdell. I cant confirm that this is the same James Adams, but if this James Adams is the same one that married Prescilla Ramsdell then it is the same James Adams. Do you have documentation to prove this is the James Adams that married Priscilla? Does anyone know how this James earned his freedom? Was he an indentured servent of the Ramsdell familiy or a neighboring family perhaps and that is how the met?
You may add my information to the site.
I am decendent from the daughter Prisilla
Pricilla married Wiliam Hardy
Isabel Hardy married Edward Austin
Jedediah Austin married ?
Jonathan Austin married Mary Mercy
Nathan Austin married Lydia Fletcher
Cynthia Austin married Reuben Tyler
Julia Tyler married George W Woodock
Lillian Woodcock married Harry L Gibson
Harry T. Gibson Married Jennie M Groves
“About 17 Scots were subcontracted to the colliers (charcoal makers) and other plant workers. Accounting records show that a few of the Scots received wages from the Company for skilled work. For example, James Adams was paid for managing ox teams” also, “…Scots James Adams, George Darling, Malcolm Maccallum, John Mackshane, and John Pardee ran the ironworks farming operation.” From: Regan, Janet and White, Curtis. Hammersmith Through the Historical Texts
“In 1662, Scottish ironworker James Adams married Priscilla Ramsdell, the daughter of John Ramsdell, a part-time employee of Saugus and a man later connected to the Rowley Village ironworks.” From: Hamilton, Marsha L.. Social and Economic Networks in Early Massachusetts: Atlantic Connections, 49.
From: John Bordsen, dated Dec 2, 2014:
One line of descent from James Adams and Priscilla Ramsdell is as follows:
Hannah Adams (1670-1726) married William Russell
Hannah Russell (b. 1690) married Jonathan Wheeler
Tabitha Wheeler (b. ca 1726) married Samuel Woods
James Woods (1767-1843) married Susannah McCullough
James William Woods (1799-1886) married Eliza Jane Harper
James Wilson Woods (1847-1924) married Harriet Stewart
Hattie Amber Woods (1880-1976) married Lorin Hazelton
Bess C. Hazelton (1915-2004) married Francis Bordsen
I’m a direct descendant of James Adams, captured at Dunbar, via his daughter Hannah Adams-Russell. The last-named are my parents. Their migration: This line largely lived in eastern Massachusetts. Samuel Woods moved to Keene, N.H.; his son, the first James Woods, relocated from there to Chatauqua County, N.Y. James Wilson Woods was born in western New York, died in Minnesota.
Oldest item of this line: Copy of a tintype (circa 1840) of James William Woods and Eliza Jane Harper-Woods.
~John F. Bordsen, Charlotte, N.C.
Marshall, Tod Howard. My Adams Ancestors.,(http://todmar.net/ancestry/adams_main.htm: 19 Dec 2014; accessed 5 Jan 2015)
Russell, Jacquiline Sleeper. The Ancestry of Sally Sleeper Russell of Worcester, Mass. (1919-1983), James Adams genealogy at RootsWeb on Ancestry. com. (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jacquelinesr&id=I11108: updated 2011; accessed 5 Jan 2015)
Russell, Jacquiline Sleeper. JAMES ADAMS, b. Scotland, d. 1707 Concord, m. PRESCILLA RAMSDELL-RAMSDEN., MAMIDDLE-L Archives at Rootsweb on Ancestry.com (http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/MAMIDDLE/2006-06/1149878127: 2006; accessed 5 Jan 2015)