Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.
Published on: 15 Sep 2016
Updated: 12 October 2016
Please go here to see the list of descendants and researchers for Fennel Ross.
Forename variations: Fennel, Fennell, Fenill, Fenn, Funel, Funell
Surname variations: Rosse, Roase, Rouse, Rouce
First Generation in the New World
1. FENNEL ROSS, was born presumably in Scotland about 1621 and died in Massachusetts before 12 Feb 1683/4 when his wife HANNAH BULL submitted his estate inventory to Essex County. He married at Ipswich, Massachusetts, on 16 Mar 1664/5, HANNAH BULL.
For a full accounting of the Fennel Ross family, please see: Barber, Kathleen Canney; Janet Ireland Delorey; and Alan Bruce Sherman. The Ross Families of Ipswich, Massachusetts. New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Jan, Apr, Jul 2003), Vol 157, p 229. BELOW
Children of Fennel and Hannah (Bull) Ross: (all born at Ipswich)|
2. i. HANNAH ROSS, b. 08 Jan 1664/5
2. ii. SUSANNAH ROSS, b. at Ipswich on 02 Oct 1666 d. 15 Sep 1739, Malden, MA m. at Malden, MA, on 20 May 1696, JACOB WILSON.
2. iii. MARY ROSS, b. at Ipswich on 23 Dec 1668.
2. iv. Unnamed ROSS, probably JUDITH ROSS, b. 22 May 1671
2. v. ABIGAIL ROSS, b. at Ipswich on 28 Jan 1673/4; m. at Bradford, MA on 21 Aug 1701, JOHN HASELTINE.
2. vi. ELIZABETH ROSS, b. at Ipswich on 22 Jun 1676.
2. vii. LYDIA ROSS, b. at Ipswich circa 1679; m. at Haverhill, MA, on 26 Dec 1699, JAMES FORD.
2. i. HANNAH ROSS, (Fennel¹), was born at Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts on 08 Jan 1664/5. She was single and apparently unmarried still at Malden in 1727.
2. ii. SUSANNAH ROSS, (Fennel¹), was born at Ipswich on 02 Oct 1666 and died at Malden, Middlesex County, Massachusetts on 15 Dec 1739. She married at Malden, MA, on 20 May 1696, JACOB WILSON. She was buried at Malden in the Bell Rock Cemetery.
Children of Jacob and Susanna (Ross) Wilson, all born at Malden, Massachusetts:
3. i. JOHN WILSON, (Susannah², Fennel¹), b. 25 Jan 1696/7; d. at Oxford, Mass. on 13 Jan 1778; m., MARY GREEN.
3. ii. JACOB WILSON, (Susannah², Fennel¹), b. 7 Jan 1698/9; m., SARAH GREEN.
3. iii. JOSEPH WILSON, (Susannah², Fennel¹), b. 19 Dec 1701; d. at Boston before 9 Jan 1756; m., RACHEL (_____).
3. iv. SUSANNA WILSON, b. 8 Sep 1705; d. at Boston on 6 Sep 1774; marriage intentions at Malden and Boston 9 Jan 1723/4, JACOB GRIGGS, of Boston.
Children of Jacob and Susanna (Wilson) Griggs: (all baptized at New South Church in Boston)
4. i. SUSANNA GRIGGS, bp. at Boston (New South Church) on 2 Jun 1726; d. bef. 18 Dec 1729.
4. ii. JACOB GRIGGS, b. at Boston on 2 Jun 1727; bp. 4 Jun 1727.
4. iii. SUSANNA GRIGGS, b. 18 Dec 1729 bp. 21 Dec 1729.
4. iv. EUNICE GRIGGS, bp. 20 Aug 1732.
4. v. WILLIAM GRIGGS, b. 4 Sep 1734 bp. 8 Sep 1734.
4. vi. JOSEPH GRIGGS, b. 2 Jun 1737 bp 5 Jun 1737.
4. vii. BENJAMIN GRIGGS, bp 27 May 1739.
4. viii. JOHN GRIGGS, b. 27 May 1744 bp. 3 Jun 1744.
2. iii. MARY ROSS, (Fennel¹), was born at Ipswich on 23 Dec 1668.
2. iv. Unnamed (JUDITH?) ROSS, (Fennel¹), was born at Ipswich on 22 May 1671.
2. v. ABIGAIL ROSS, (Fennel¹), was born at Ipswich on 28 Jan 1673/4. She married at Bradford (now Haverhill), Essex, Massachusetts on 21 Aug 1701, JOHN HASELTINE.
2. vi. ELIZABETH ROSS, (Fennel¹), was born at Ipswich on 22 Jun 1676.
2. vii. LYDIA ROSS, (Fennel¹), was born at Ipswich about 1679. She married at Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts, on 26 Dec 1699, JAMES FORD.