Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.
Published: 03 Dec 2014
Updated: 15 Sep 2016
Find his descendants and researchers here.
Black, George Fraser, 1866-1948. The Surnames of Scotland, Their Origin Meaning and History, (New York : New York Public Library & Readex Books, 1962), First published in 1946.: Cooper, Coupar, Couper, Cowper in Scotland
First Generation in the New World
1. ALEXANDER¹ COOPER, was born probably in Scotland and died at Berwick, Maine after 9 Feb 1683 (date of will) and 28 Feb 1684, probate. He married at Berwick, Maine, by 1654, Unknown (_____).
He worked as an indentured servant at the sawmills in Kittery, Maine. See: Alexander Cooper at Rootsweb. Alexander was an acquaintance/friend of SPOWs: James Warren, George Gray and Peter Grant.
Children of Alexander and Unknown (_____) Cooper:
2. i. SARAH² COOPER, born at Kittery/Berwick about 1656; m. at Kittery in July 1672, GEORGE GRAY, a SPOW.
2. ii. JOHN² COOPER, b. at Berwick, Maine before 9 Feb 1667 (age 16 at date of father’s will.)
2. JOHN² COOPER, (Alexander¹) was born at Berwick, Maine before 9 Feb 1667. In the will he was his father’s ONLY son and sixteen years old at the writing of the will on 9 Feb 1683. He married at Berwick on 13 Dec 1691, SARAH LORD.
2. SARAH COOPER,(Alexander¹) was born at Kittery/Berwick, Maine. She married at Kittery, in July 1672, GEORGE GRAY.
SOURCES and NOTES:
“Massachusetts Historical Society Proceedings – Oct. 1927 p. 5-28”: Lists of Scots removed to New England as Prisoners by Oliver Cromwell – 1651
SEE: Scots Prisoners and Their Relocation to the Colonies at Geni.com
“Kittery, Maine – Probate 28 Feb 1684,” from: Dobson, David. Scottish Emigration to Colonial America, 1607-1785, (Georgia: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994, paperback version 2004), 36.